RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Mayne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:10:43 -0500
Lynton:
> I propose that the welcome message includes words to the effect that the
> list basically supports a balanced diet and thus excludes extremes such as
> fruitarianism, breatharianism, etc.

David:
Well, I understand your point here, and it is well taken, Lynton.
On the other hand, I don't want to ban folks from being involved
simply because of their dietary choices. Who knows, we may have a
40+ year strict breath-only consumer sign-up someday (well, nobody
has fessed up publicly on the list to this yet) who will tell us
how s(he) did it, and offer some proof along to settle the score. (-:

Lynton:

> That 100% raw is probably a bit extreme in the experience of many on the list.
>
> Something about the pros and cons of eating raw.
>
> That extreme views could be offered from time to time, and to take these in
> comparison with a more moderate viewpoint.
>
> Anyone interested in furthering this idea?

David:
You are right that the welcome pages need upgrading desperately - I apologize
to everyone in the list (particularly to Peter, who has his name still listed
at the bottom) for not having done this. I would like to expand a little
on proper quoting, accountability, and civility in addition to addressing
your concerns in some fashion.

David:
My excuse - the last few months have been interesting at Mindspring, as
I had to deploy my new mail delivery agent with limited production
testing, due to shortcomings with our previous architecture - the
in-coming flood of holiday email proved to be an avalanche. Just to
brag a little, we were able to accept all Mindspring and Pipeline mail
with just two incoming mail servers, as opposed to the 8+ other ones
that were melting down with the load.  Needless to say, I have spent
numerous overtime hours making sure things work well, as we process
millions of incoming email messages per day. Now that Mindspring has
acquired Netcom, at least one prominent member on this list, if they
stay aboard with netcom, should be making use of the services of my
mail software shortly. (-: GLOAT

Regards,

David