RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:43:56 -0500
Carol & David wrote:

> I was really surprised to hear biodynamics referred to as "somewhat
> unknown".

Confusing modifier noted.  Can I get away with 'lesser known'?  The exact
numbers are elusive, but of the 3 or 4 million farms left in the US,
perhaps 200 or so are certified biodynamic (tradename 'Demeter', I
think).  Then there are perhaps 1800-2000 others that practice enough of
the Steiner-inspired ag to refer to themselves as biodynamic.  Evidently,
the percentage numbers are considerably higher in Europe, Australia, and
New Zealand.

FWIW, the moderator of 'Agrisynergy' is a full-scale biodynamicist from
New Zealand.  However, he's rather hands-off there and devotes his
teaching energy as a rank & file member of BD-Now, a most active
biodynamics list.

Also FWIW, the standard of *quality* determination in biodynamics is the
chromatogram, a method whereby fresh squeezed plant juices are allowed to
flow upwards into a filter paper.  Poor quality food produces very
distinct patterns so at odds with those from high quality food that, grant
me this metaphor---they scream at you.  Although I don't practice the
method, I've been to several of their seminars and the slides are nothing
short of astounding.  If you really care about food quality, you may find
it worth your while to attend a lecture.  There is a hundred or so page
book available.

Finally, (darnit) I have not yet conducted a series of Brix tests
vis-a-vis chromatograms, but it will occur in due time.  Incidentally,
quite a few of the BD people use refractometers because they can get much
quicker results.

Regards,
Rex Harrill
From the BD-Now moderator...

Just send a message to  [log in to unmask]

and write

'subscribe bdnow'

in the body of the message.

(hold those apostrophes!!)