RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:06:12 -0500
Alan,
> > > As to malnourished people...a two week fast will certainly help
> > > them to detox their eating mistakes and is thus still healthier
> > > than continuing to eat as before.

Liza,
> > How about those who are malnourished through starvation, for instance?

Alan,>
> What kind of a twisted argument is that?? If people are starving they
> have no access to either raw or cooked. And if they are starving
> despite having access to raw (even raw edible wild plants) then they
> don't need to be (if someone would just point out this source).

Liza,
What I am trying to say here is that there are people who are in fact dying
of starvation, either due to poverty (have you been to Bombay? Or the
region here near me in the Appalachian mountains? Or Washington DC? New
York? Or remote rural areas the world over, where food is scarce?); or
other (poverty-related) circumstances (such as the disabled or elderly, who
cannot get out to get food and can't hire someone to do this for them, or
those suffering from illnesses or disorders that result in their actually
starving to death - digestive disorders, dental problems, emotional
disorders, metabolic conditions, the list is exhuastive).

You keep claiming that a two-week fast will "cure" anybody. This is false.
There are *many* for whom a fast would be detrimental, for instance those
mentioned above who are malnourished through starvation. There are many
others that should not fast.

Liza had written,
> > starving to death through poverty, or the neglected elderly, or those with
> > cancer, diabetes and other degenerative diseases, anorexics, just to name

Alan,
> Another twisted argument. Starving people are fasting and thus meet
> all the prerequisites for converting to raw

Liza,
This is incorrect. Starving people are NOT fasting. You do not understand
the physiology of fasting. It is entirely different from starving.

Alan,
> The medical docs  ......  want
> to make a continued good living out of the chronically ill rather
> than loose revenue by making people healthy again (they prefer to
> treat uncomfortable symptoms rather than address the cause of an
> illness).

Most medical doctors are nothing like you describe here. Medical doctors
are NOT evil. It is completely foolish to disregard the VAST amount of
information, training, experience, and knowledge that one gets from a
medical education. And there are among them some of the most compassionate,
selfless, humane, and giving people you'll find.

Go by word-of-mouth, through the "alternative health" grapevines there in
Germany, and you're sure to find some great doctors, who are not only
excited about, but committed to all the new thinking about the
relationships between health and diet, psychoneuroimmunology, excercise,
sleep, other lifestyle and environmental factors, and the insights from all
the variety of "alternative" health modalities. There are more and more of
these around --  it's great.

Love Liza

--
[log in to unmask] (Liza May)