BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 10:35:47 EDT

<<By the way - "Sub-consultant" - I like that

too.>>

From where I sit, the diference between a good contractor and a good
consultant is only in the kind of product the provide me.  So I am not
surprised by the term "sub-consultant", it seems pretty natural.

The diference between an unsatisfactory consultant and an unsatisfactory
contractor are miniscual as well.

In its simplist form I expect my consultants to provide me with information
about the nature of my problems and to make reasonable, clear and concise
recommendations for solutions.  I expect my contractors to provide the skills,
tools and the insight that comes from experience to execute the resolution of
the problem.  The best contractors and the best consultants know where the
line is, are somehat frustrated by it, but respect it and generally respect
each other.  Sometimes they even manage to convince me that they don't think
I'm an idiot...but I think that may just be salesmanship.

When I hear the excuses, I nod my head and get quiet.  I weigh the odds.  I
figure out what my best chance of completing the project within my limits are
and I search for a solution.  This is a dangerous game for the
contractor/consultant, and me.  Its probably not a good idea to demonstrate a
mastery of excuses before demonstrating a mastery of your profession, trade or
craft.  Mastery will buy you a lot of tolerance.  But then those who have
mastered their craft didn't get there by mastering excuses.

A client arriving late to a meeting on a job site is an opportunity for the
contractor/consultant to be certain that everything is prepared...don't assume
that lateness is pure...habitual short lateness may be a behavior one has been
rewarded for.  I of course always arrive on time, my contractors and
consultants are always well prepared, the work is always ahead of schedule,
there are never any shortages, delays or surprises, and someone always brings
great coffee, donuts and fresh strawberries.

I'm sorry to turn a fun subject serious...I've got a lot of serious around me.

-jc