RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gerry Coffey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:01:36 EST
In a message dated 2/20/99 1:19:21 PM Central Standard Time, amf.prefire@T-
ONLINE.DE writes:

<<
 This rather surprises me as it is a well known fact. Raw string
 beans contain a toxin known as "phasine". It is a strong diuretic
 and small amounts are even used by the medical industry in diuretic
 medicines. Cooking neutralises the phasine.

 And just in case you decide to switch to raw broadbeans or red
 or white kidney beans, there is some bad news here as well. They
 contain an even more dangerous toxin known as "phytohaemagglutinin".

 Best regards (and best leave raw beans and seeds alone),

 Alan >

*******
Alan:

I have heard Naturaly Hygiene doctors say asparagus was not a good food to
consume (don't recall the mentions of string beans), but they didn't elaborate
about the reasons. Perhaps the same diuretic protein as that which you
attribute to string beans?
gc