RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gerry Coffey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:34:26 EST
In a message dated 2/17/99 8:54:17 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Gerry,

 Don't have time lately to participate as much as I'd like, in all the neat
 discussions lately, but this one I just have to jump in on ...

 You said,
 > When a person fasts, his/her body becomes so revitalized and efficient at
 > utilizing food when one starts refeeding that unless one intends to eat
 > "clean" food, they can do more harm than good.

 Gerry, this is an EXTREMELY over-simplified description of what goes on, in
 my opinion.

--Agreed. It is oversimplified. (Which actually was my intent, so as not to
complicate the issue, but perhaps I should have said so.)

 You're right, one can do a lot of harm if one overeats after a
 fast,  however it is not at all yet fully understood what mechanisms can
account
 for the various problems that can arise. And "clean" food (as you call it)
 can, (and does), cause JUST as many problems as junk food.

 --Ditto: ANYTHING (health promoting or not--even water) to excess is
detrimental.

I'm an advocate of fasting - I've seen it help a lot of people - but it  must
be done with extreme caution and close supervision; and, from my  experience,
because of the psychological difficulties, with outside help  during the
follow-up period. Eating "clean" food will most definately _not_ insure that
problems don't arise when the person resumes eating.

 --Yes, as I noted above. Also, while fasting is an exceptional tool when
utilized correctly, we feel it is best used only as a last resort because an
extended fast, done under professional supervision, requires an extended
recuperation period with wise counsel so as not to undo all the good.

--Note: We do advocate short, personal fasts, ie., one to three days, on one's
own. But as it takes approximately 3 days before ketosis kicks in, a true fast
is not in process until after 3 days, and that's where we recommend the
professional supervision.

 > That's why people who "diet," tend to put on more weight than they had
 > initially once they start eating again. Their body is more efficient at
using
 > less so it "slaps" the excess calories on in the form of fat.

 Again, this is a gross oversimplification, and is likely incorrect.
 It is not known why some (not all) people gain weight more easily after
 diets, although there are various theories attempting to explain this.

--Yes, all we have are theories, but the one I mentioned, after years of trial
and error, is put forth by a certain number of N.H. physicians we have come to
respect, and it makes good sense to us. As Dr. Frank Sabatino (M.S.,DC, PhD,
Cell Biologist, Neuro-endocrinolgist, Expert on Premature Aging, etc.) points
out: "Try it. If it works for you, keep it. If it doesn't toss it out!"

 And  dieting does not necessarily make the body more efficient at using less,
as
 you say above.

--I believe it does.

 There are MANY other factors influencing the body's biochemistry, a huge one
(which you didn't address at all) being exactly
 _which_ foods are being eaten.

--That's what I meant by "clean" food, which, in my mind is simply raw, fresh
fruits and vegetables. Preferably high water content fruits, lots of leafy
greens, and little or no seeds, nuts or cooked food.

 Anyway, had to throw in my two cents, especially in light of Axel's and
 Chris's GREAT discussions on some of the real, and not at all yet fully
 understood, problems encountered with fasting, raw eating, vegan diets,
 etc.

 Love Liza

--You two cents are appreciated. To each his/her own. It's your money;-)
FWIW: gc