From:
Elsie Steinwachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 07:47:11 -0800
>>My grandson, now 3 months old, can't
>>tolerate milk, so he is on soy formula. Unfortunately, he is showing some
>>evidence of reacting to that too. I have recently heard that there is such
>>a thing as a meat-based formula, but I can't find any information on it.
-----------------
I know that there are rice-based formulas.  They weren't available in the
U.S. when I needed them 20 years ago, but with the Internet you may be able
to locate a source.

They are not as high-quality as the regular U.S. and European formulas (the
babies don't grow as fast), but there is some attempt to include the extra
nutrients a child would need other than rice.

Rice, by the way, has the proper proportion of proteins for a human, but
contains so much carbohydrate that the amount of protein proportionate to
the carbohydrate is low.  So it's a reasonable place to start if all other
options are failing.  It should be possible to supplement the protein with
some research into sources.

There must be web sites by Moms who have had to research this problem for
themselves.  Doctors generally don't know #*$&%^ about feeding babies who
don't fit their preconceived patterns.  And they don't seem willing to do
research, which is a shame because many research bases are limited to
doctors-only browsing.

Patty visiting [log in to unmask] (still mad after 20+ years)