From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 09:57:43 -0700
> On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Hans Kylberg wrote:
>
> > >Don't we go back at least 100,000 years as to evidence of homo sapiens?
> >
> > Yes, but there was a significant change to more sophistacated hunting
> > weapons 40 kya. Someone on this list earlier referred to that as a
> > reason to doubt hunting of larger game before that time.

To understand the differences in hunting weapons, it's first helpful to
know something about hunting large game with rocks and sharp sticks.
Before you can throw your weapon, the prey must first be held within
range to insure multiple hits from several members of your party.
Holding a large animal at bay is a very dangerous thing to do even if you
use natural barriers like cliffs and bogs or build simple enclosures like
pits or fence traps.  All through man's history of following the
megafauna into new territory during interglacial periods, his bones
reflected the hazards of such hunting methods.  Many bones have injuries
that resemble those of modern day rodeo performers.  But this rapid
expantion of range also led to an additional change in the form of
neoteny.  This type of mutation is seen in many species who expand their
range rapidly and allows the species to adapt to their new enviroment.
From DNA samples we know that Neanderthal began this process many
generations before it manifested a noticicable change in physiology
resulting in Cro-Magnon.  Likewise a similar number of generations were
needed before neotenized wolves began to physically resemble dogs.

When these two neotinized species began to hunt together is evidenced in
the tools now made possible by hunting with dogs.  While the dogs hold
the prey at bay, one can now use safer long range weapons such as light
spears with stone tips, spear-throwers, slings and bows.  Those who could
develop deep relationships with dogs, ate more meat and this would have
reinforced neoteny through selection, resulting in modern dogs and
Cro-Magnons (gracile or "thin" Neanderthals).

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin" (see above)