From:
Kent Multer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:05:50 -0500
>And if you buy raw tuna then just take a half pound, use a fork and sharp
>knife, and eat away. Think of it as sashimi.

WARNING:  I think this may be dangerous advice.

The fish used by Japanese restaurants for sushi and sashimi is carefully
selected and prepared.  The fish you get in an ordinary American
supermarket is not.  Eating this fish without cooking it might expose you
to parasites or diseases.

As a sushi fanatic, I always keep an ear out for reports of people getting
sick from it.  My understanding is that it never occurs in restaurants; it
always happens to people who tried to make sushi at home, and didn't use
the right kind of fish.

I just thought I ought to pass along that bit of information; don't mean to
flame anyone.