BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:16:28 -0400
I believe Wards was built later.  It's claim to fame is it is the oldest
reinforced concrete house in America.  their are earlier concrete houses
that are just poured concrete.

Advice:  if it's that early it is probably a natural hydraulic cement,
perhaps of the Rosendale type.  It needs to have a good analysis to
determine its composition.  Natural Hydraulic cement is not like Portland in
composition or color.  It's very tricky stuff to match.  Get a good
materials person to help, and perhaps a cement historian.
Michael

PS: the Rosendale Cement Works (Ulster County NY) is listed on the National
Register of Historic Places.  It's now called the Snyder Estate historic
Site.  They might have some old backs of cement still lying around...