From:
"Aaron D. Wieland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 23:01:08 -0400
Robert wrote:
>        Any skinny people on the list?  What's paleo like for the thin set?

I don't know whether I qualify as a skinny person, but I've definitely
always been thin.  Before I switched to a primarily meat and vegetable diet
(after approximately nine months as a vegetarian), I weighed about 145
pounds, and had lost most of my muscle tone; I'm about 5'11", and have heavy
bones.  Currently, I weigh about 153 pounds, and have much better muscle
tone.

Even though my diet change was recent (shortly after the New Year), my
memory of my early experience is a bit hazy, so the following account may be
inaccurate.  When I first switched to a low-carb diet, my chronic hunger
seemed to disappear, as long as I ate three hearty meals a day.  This may
not sound extraordinary, but, to a hypoglycemic accustomed to constant
snacking, it was a revelation.  Actually, I still had the urge to snack on
nuts until I started eating fattier meat.  Unfortunately, I now find that I
sometimes get hungry soon after a large meal; I suspect an undiagnosed food
allergy, possibly to beef.  On the other hand, I seem to be digesting most
of my food well, and my weight is stable, so there is no real evidence of
overeating.  My metabolism may be inefficient, however, as my body often
produces more heat than I need or want.

My habits are erratic, and I don't count calories, but I usually eat over a
pound of meat each day (approximately two pounds is typical), along with
some vegetables, both low-carb (e.g., broccoli, kale) and high-carb (e.g.,
carrots, winter squash).  I sometimes eat nuts (which I don't digest well)
or fruit (which I tend to overeat when it's available, so I try not to buy
too much).  About once every several weeks, I binge on blue corn chips and
avocados for a couple of days, but I'll never admit it publicly. ;-)

Cheers,
-- Aaron Wieland