From:
"Aaron D. Wieland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 12:05:50 -0400
Robert wrote:
>I had been enjoying corn tortillas and chips as one of my "cheats" --
>for tacos and such about once a week.  One flour tortilla and my system
>goes kablooie; a dozen corn tortillas and I do fine.
>
>This was up until Michael A. posted about the carcinogenic properties of
>corn, and before re-reading Neanderthin made me re-think my gradualist
>approach to paleo.  Now I'm not so sure.  I've read that corn is soaked
>in lime to make corn tortillas, and that the lime soaking makes the corn
>"digestible."  I wonder if that has any impact on the carcinogenic
>qualities?

I too worry about the consequences of corn consumption, though I wasn't
aware that corn might be carcinogenic; I do know that maize has a high
allergenic potential.  Yesterday was the second day of my binge.  During the
first part of the day, I felt somewhat weak and dizzy; this could indicate a
maize allergy, a carb overdose, or something else entirely.  My
indiscretions are becoming less frequent over time, as I grow accustomed to
the foods which sustain me, and develop an aversion to those which make me
ill.

Cheers,
-- Aaron Wieland