BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Maura Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 09:41:05 -0500
A friend recommends Bownocker's STONES OF OHIO (1915) as a possible source
of information on Ohio ashlar.  He -- Steve Gordon -- can be contacted at

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, mflynch wrote:

> North River Bluestone refers to a blue sandstone from the mid-Hudson Valley
> (mostly Ulster County) that was used extensively for sidewalks in the mid to
> late 19th and early 20th centuries.  The "North river" referred to was the
> Hudson River.  Although the Ulster County quarries are silent now (there is
> still "bluestone" quarried in the Helderberg area of SW Albany county),
> there is an excellent outdoor sculpture garden/museum in woodstock, NY
> called Opus 40 which is built of bluestone.

Maura Johnson, Field Services Coordinator
Ohio Historic Preservation Office
BGSU, Jerome Library, 5th Floor
Bowling Green, OH  43403
Phone:  419-372-6935   Fax:  419-372-0155