CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 09:19:03 -0700

Pam wrote:  Brittany had her first HbA1c - 6.8%.  My question is that the
chart correlations to bg's averages appear higher to me at 6.8% than what we
have been seeing on the glucometer.  Please enlighten me - I am new at this.
Which is more accurate the HbA1c or the glucometer or is there a range of
accuracy (inaccuracy)?  <snip>

There are bunch of different variables you are dealing with in both
tests, so I'll take a shot at explaining. Hopefully, others will throw
in their ideas too & we can get the big picture on these tests.

Home Meters--
Most meters declare a certain degree of variance than that of a venous
lab test. Most meters state anywhere from 5--12- to 20% variance in
their info literature. Or call the 800 # on the meter & ask the rep.

You can bring your meter along when going for an lab bloodwork & test
simultaneously to get a idea of the variance.

There are lots of variables w/ home meters....
* test strips exposed to humidity, heat, extreme temps or expired
* wrong code key
* extremes in hematocrit can skew results

A1c
The average red blood cell lives 120 days-hemoglobin links up with the
glucose in your blood. Once glycated, the hemoglobin stays glycated
until the red blood cell's life is over.
The A1c gives the big picture-- because you can't test round the clock-
the A1c is more accurate to obtain the overall average.

Said to be more revealing of sin than repentance-- the A1c will reveal
(by staying glycated) the high extremes. The A1c is a weighted average.
You never have a complete turnover of red blood cells all at once. Some
are dying as others are coming on board.

It takes about 3 to 4 months to see a change- good or bad. Very big
changes in bg levels can be seen within 2 weeks.

So basically- you need to use the home meter to be able to know how your
numbers are doing from day to day to be able to yield a good A1c
"average" number.
The lab results are going to be as good as the lab. The samples need to
be handled properly etc.

A1c#----------Average bg level

4---------------60
5---------------90
6--------------120
7--------------150

The American Diabetes Association recommends maintaining an A1c of 7 &
under to avoid long term complications.

Hope this helps.....

~fran