BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:24:17 -0400
George sez:
>I agree wholeheartedly that the priests and
>priestesses of HP are promulgating a form of restoration that's great for
>museum quality work but, as one who dwells in the less-pristine world of
>rehabilitation, often amazingly out-of-step with the reality of day-to-day
>living.  I work towards making successful places and I think that many
>history buildings offer many intangible elements towards that goal.  That
>is not to say that a project is ruined if the muntin width is a bit off or
>if they replaced some lath and plaster walls with textured drywall so that
>they could (gasp) insulate.
>
>I also agree with Dan that the general public (and many of clients)  think
>HP, at least at the regulation level, is a fairly wacko enterprise with
>nit-picky rules that make little sense.  (I believe this is because that
>"general public" has lost much of its ability to see quality in building
>because they've become accustomed to post-war dreck but that's another
>diatribe)
>
> What I DO NOT agree with in Dan's otherwise excellent summary, is that
>showing the public we in the field actually disagree on these issues isn't
>going to make a difference.  I think that we must disagree, and do it in
>public, if we ever expect what are largely public\governmental processes to
>change so that they better mirror the reality of what we do or hope to.
>The problem is that we all are operating within a system whilst trying to
>change it.  Still, squeaky wheel and all that, I hope that there are some
>of use willing to be branded heretics in order to reach a better world in
>the end....;-)

Doggone, George, I'd take you out for a beer if you weren't a continent
away.  We'll call ourselves "Team Heretic."  I'm also in this to "work
towards making successful places."   I come at it from an urban design
bent, believing that historic structures are a significant contributor to
livible places.  Frequently, the public mistakes me for being a historian,
and asks me questions about the history of stuff.  Now, I've picked up some
history by osmosis, and can generally give them a suitably entertaining
answer, but that's not what floats my boat.

I agree with your disagreement, and I don't mind being disagreeable in
public if it helps :-)  But I had a really broad view of general public
when I made my statement.  I think that residents of historic districts,
downtown development interests, and a few others might take some interest
in our little squabbles, but for the masses out there navigating SUVs
around cul-de-sacs in circles, I think the radio is turned up too loud to
hear us.

Dan Becker,  Executive Director       "Conformists die, but
Raleigh Historic                                 heretics live on forever"
Districts Commission                                   -- Elbert Hubbard