NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Marcotte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 23:49:45 -0500
Kris---Hang in there... Your description of a possible scenario where you
can be both lactose intolerant and have a milk allergy fits my situation
exactly. Thankfully, my allergy is relatively mild. I feel unwell for a few
days, never exceeding three. The one comment about LI people being able to
tolerate a glass of milk a day with food is based, I believe, on a Mayo
Clinic study reported a few years ago. All I know is that drinking a glass
of milk would lead to suffering all sorts of problems for several days. I
totally agree with your thesis that not everyone fits some nice model of LI
or dairy allergy. In my case, I get ambushed from time to time. My most
recent experience was eating some polish sausage at a Xmas reception. On the
other hand, I was able to eat a home made pizza with Lactose free cheese
made from real skim milk without a problem. That one still mystifies me a
bit. Casein doesn't seem to bother me. However, something else in milk
really hammers me. I've begun to wonder if I'm allergic to lactose!!

Don