From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 09:33:59 -0400
I have not done recent reading on this subject but have a gut (no pun intended)
reaction that bowel transit time is a large factor.  Lack of fibrous material in
the gi tract correlates with a slower transit time and thus  more formation of
associated intestinal by -products.  Free radical theory comes to mind here.    I
think there is also more mechanical stress on the bowels with a lack of fibrous
material to keep things moving along.  I wonder if the study cited  earlier in
this thread discussed the rest of the subject diets in terms of volume of whole
food nutrients.  That is,  milled, refined  grain flours, industrially produced
sugars and vegetable oils,  and other "bad boys"  of the modern diet replace the
nutrient and fiber laden fruits and vegetables that may be protective relative to
the   meat component.  We have to account for adaptation of sub populations like
Inuit where specific adaptation and lack of western style cooking come into
play.  Another thought here is,  again,  the fact that the fat content of
commercial beef  as compared with the game we have evolved to eat  may have a
role in carcinogenisis.  These are somewhat random thoughts but I think faster
bowel transit time associated with the evoluitonary diet is a logical explanation
ofr the lack of marked colon cancer in HG populaitons which consumed meat (at
least I have never read of a HG population where it was significant.  Rick