RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 12:11:28 -1000
Roger:
>Nutrition is not just a "science", it is an "art" as well.  No two people
>will react exactly the same to the same diet.  The individual must be looked
>at individually.  You can use scientific testing, but it might not be
>accurate.  For example there are many "scientific studies" that disprove
>dietary regimes that I personally know work on certain people.

Interesting points, but I wonder if you might direct them to Aajonus
himself instead of his skeptics. Keep in mind that he claims his diet works
for most everyone and cures 95% of all cancer! Plenty of folks have not had
stellar results with Aajonus' regime but you don't here much about them.
Perhaps they are embarrassed to have fallen for his ideas--I don't know.

>For the most part society wants convenience and will NOT accept
>controversial ideas with open arms!  People who outwardly take on
>controversial positions are chastised, NOT honored for their efforts.

Aajonus seems to have enough groupies out there to satisfy his
wounded/chastised ego ;)

>History does repeat, be aware.  My uncle had a very difficult time trying to
>convince the medical establishment of his findings even though he had
>thousands of patients and scientific papers to prove it.  He fought for over
>40 years.

It sounds like an interesting story. I can see how some of it might relate
to Aajonus' tome "We Want to Live" but can see important differences as
well. Aajonus has made available no records of his supposedly "thousands"
of patients. He has next to no scientific references to back up his
proclamations, and many of them are so arbitrary as to be laughable.

>The man who walks alone should be given the benefit of the doubt.

I gave Aajonus the benefit of the doubt. He has simply failed that benefit.
You might be insterested in many of the archived posts on the subject. Easy
to search for...  http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/raw-food.html

>It is
>only through his efforts that new discoveries are made.  The man who follows
>the crowd will get no further than the crowd.  The man who walks alone is
>likely to find himself in places no one has ever been before.  Being
>different breeds contempt NOT admiration from society.

This is a tad simplistic. Nearly every idea has its crowd which includes
supporters. There are folks who consider Aajonus a hero (perhaps yourself
included).  As much as I am a fan of the particularly American flavor of
romantic individualism, I can see in it very little reason why Aajonus
should not be held to some basic standards of logic and honesty. Therein
lies my contempt for Aajonus. It has nothing to do with walking to the beat
of a different drummer or whatever.

>Just try this:  Go
>out and tell every one you know that you eat raw meat, record their
>reactions (be sure to mention the chicken); the fact is almost all will
>wince at first, until you reframe their beliefs.

So they wince. Whoopdedo. I have no desire to reframe their beliefs.
Indeed, my opinion is that that desire is what is so unattractive to most
people about alternative diet folks, indeed alternative folks in general.

>What it comes down to is
>no one else out there is treating people with quite the same methodologies
>as Aajonus.  His approach is quite unique.

There are many unique approaches out there.

>The $300 is for the FIRST
>consultation ONLY.  This is reasonable.  Aajonus is not interested in doing
>a high volume business here, he won't.  A meat market, assembly line,
>factory type doctor might charge the same amount, might charge a little less
>or more, but his approach you can be sure will not be unique (and might even
>harm you; also the drug/therapy and surgery prices must be taken into
>account, which undoubtably are ASTRONOMICAL compared to Aajonus' fees).  If
>you can only afford 30 bucks instead buy the book and READ it.

I have read the book a couple times. There is hardly anything in it one
could call a methodology.

>The book is very detailed.  It's a great way to learn his dietary system.  I
>have never "consulted" with Aajonus (I've only spoke to him on the phone,
>for free, a very pleasant guy) but I've gained a tremendous amount from his
>book.  Things that I intuitively believed were made more clear to me in the
>book.  I've been eating raw meat on and off for over 10 years and the book
>has confirmed my own feelings.  I really believe it can be a life
>changing/saving book for some people.  You can do it completely with the
>book ALONE.  In fact one reason that Aajonus may keep his FIRST consulting
>fee high is to encourage people to REALLY STUDY the book.  It's ALL there in
>the book.

Gosh, did we read the same book?! ;) How do you "study" prose like that?

>Anyway, that's my 5 cents.

Glad you piped up, Roger. The story about your uncle sounds really
interesting. Could you share some details?

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft