RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ben Odom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 23:04:10 -0500
Hello All:

On various occasions, people have posted information about the consumption of
insects as food.  From my recollection, some of these folks were Tom, Jo, and
Kirt, to be exact.

Well, others expressed disgust at the notion of chomping on insects.  At first I
thought it sounded a little strange too, but then I thought about how many other
cultures seem to do well by incorporating some insects into their diets (often
as delicacies).  Through time, I began to realize that it was pretty absurd of
me to pass judgement on a perfectly natural food that I had never tried myself.
Can you get at what I'm leading to?  >;-)

Well, as strange as it may sound, I started wondering what an insect might taste
like.  I thought, "Will it be bitter, sweet, or somewhere inbetween?"  I also
wondered if I would be so repulsed that I would spit it up.  Well, one day when
I was mowing my lawn, a huge grasshoper (or locust; I am no insect expert)
hopped in front of me.  Poor guy just happened to be in the wrong place at a
time when I was feeling particularly adventurous >;-)  Well, sparing the gory
details, I sampled a bit of Mr. Grasshoper right then and there.  And... I have
to admit... I was suprised.  For some reason I did not have a 'mental block' ---
and the taste was not repulsive to me.  Now, I don't know if I would call it
'tasty,' but defintely not repulsive (and no, it did not taste like chicken.
More like shellfish).  In fact it remined me of perhaps soft meat from a crab
leg.

Well I'm sure I've just turned several of your stomachs -- sorry if I did.  But
since some of you had expressed either experience or interest in the field of
insect cuisine, I thought I'd share a beginner's experience.  Not that I'm
planning on munching on insects regularly (in fact I am somewhat amazed that I
even did it in the first place), but I am glad that I was able to perhaps catch
a glimpse of a different way of eating.  If Kirt or anybody else I mentioned has
had any similar experience, I'd love to hear it.

Regards,

Ben