BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Helen Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Telepathic chickens leave no traces.
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 17:56:26 -0800
Before I add my two-bits worth to the discussion, I gues I should introduce
myself.

I am a mature student who returned to complete a BA started over 30 years
ago. I am studying Art History with a focus on heritage architecture. I was
the President of our local heritage preservation organization and am now
the part-time office manager. About a year and a half ago, I was elected a
Director of the Heritage Society of British Columbia, so now I have input
at the provincial level. Next spring, I am doing a directed studies on
heritage preservation in Victoria, B.C. over the last 25 years.

Speaking of cleaning stone, I was asked to witness what seemed truly
remarkable to me. A local firm uses biodegradable chemicals mixed with
water to remove all the grime from sandstone and other types as well. The
contrast between the unclean and the clean is amazing. I do not know the
cost, but it must be cheaper than the methods I had heard of before - this
includes scrubbing by hand (which would take forever, me thinks). This
solution was applied, left for 5 to 10 minutes to work, then lightly
brushed and rinsed with clean water.

Unfortunately, the building in question, an old church (100 years old - old
for this part of the world) has been bought by the local Music Conservatory
and they have limited funds so the cleaning will not be done.

I am enjoying the postings - glad to find people who think as I do.

>I  was just in Paris an observed the cleaning of Notre Dame ; truly remarkable
>results; the stone absolutely had a glow about it. However the day I visited
>the job site a scathing report about the cost overruns and the time it was
>taking to complete was front page news. The entire Lourve was cleaned in a
>little over a year with Gommage( micro abrasion neutral powders ) Notre Dame
>is still on the front facade at three times the expense and time. Im not sure
>it will be popular with budget managers..lovely lovely results though. Regards
>Michael Davidson

Helen Edwards in Victoria, B.C. Canada
Owner, Bed Buddies Toys
Past President, Hallmark Society...Director, Heritage Society of B.C.
[log in to unmask]  URL: http://www.islandnet.com/~helen