BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeremy Salmond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Telepathic chickens leave no traces.
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 09:03:49 +1200
Jeremy Salmond - recent arrival on this talk show.

Conservation architect in Auckland, New Zealand; member of APTi, ICOMOS (NZ chairman);  I try to get out of the country as often as I can - APT  in Montreal and New Orleans, "Restoration" (the first one) in Boston; ICOMOS in Sofia 1996 (looking forward to Mexico 1999).  Much inspired (professionally and philosphically) by visits from Henry and Lorraine Chambers around 1988, and later contact with Martin Weaver, and meeting all you fine North Americans at conferences.  One article in APT Bulletin; wrote a book in 1986 called Old New Zealand Houses, 1800-1940 (now in 8th reprint).

Feeling a bit like the ancient gnome of conservation in New Zealand.  Trying to make a business out of (mainly) conservation architecture in a country which hasn't quite accepted that it has a history; owner of a small practice (5 architects, 2 secretaries) in the marine suburb of Devonport, with wonderful views up the harbour (where the Americas Cup will be sailed in 2000);  principal work of the office is anything to do with building conservation - house alterations, writing conservation plans (about 35 in last decade), conservation of stone masonry and historic concrete (used in NZ since about 1870s), design guidelines for heritage preservation in urban areas and, whenever we can, new design projects;  we're often co-consultants on heritage construction projects and that can sometimes be complicated (professionally).  Loving the net as a way of extending contacts, and very grateful already for considerable and thoughtful responses to questions recently tossed into the ether.

Firmly committed to the view that working with historic structures is a legitimate part of modern architectural theory and practice, that conservation of buildings is a purposeful design process, that conservation is concerned with the management of change (not arresting change) - in our economy, very few buildings justify their existence as museums of themselves.

New Zealand has a population of 3.5million, with a virtually neutral tax regime - ie. no breaks for doing anything good to old buildings.  The national heritage agency is the New Zealand Historic Places Trust, a quango (quasi-governmental) highly centralised organisation, which tries to be regulator, advocate, property owner (60 properties), has a subscribing public membership, and tries to manage its national responsibilities on a government operating grant of $3.5m.  The whole business of "heritage management" in New Zealand is currently under review - a public discussion document can be found on:
                http://www.doc.govt.nz/forconsu/historic/

So, that's me - looking forward to talking to you all.

Jeremy Salmond
Salmond Architects
5a Victoria Road
Devonport