Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 14:54:03 -0800
Hi all:
Here is a doozy for all to solve. I recently recieved an old 486DX4/100
standard multimedia system with 32 Megs of ram. I was told that it had
intermittent video problems, but that everything else was fine.
I proceeded to check out the system for probs at that point. Right off
the bat I found that the A drive wasn't being recognized.I changed out
the drive and rebooted. Same problem. I changed the ribbon cable out.
Same prob. I then swapped out the floppy control drive. Same prob.
At this point I continued on and got to the video card. I powered down
and took of the monitor cable for inspection. I found the reason for
that problem was a bent pin in the monitor cable. I straighten it back
as much as possible and plugged it back into the video card. From this
point on no rom basic beep or video whatsoever.Since then I have changed
out video cards,ram and just about everything else except the mobo and
chip. I also noticed that the hd's no longer are spinning up. This seems
to me to be a power supply prob. However, I have checked the 2 voltages
from the power supply to the mobo and they are correct and constant. I
have even changed out power supplies and still nothing, DOA!

I will add at this point that I had a anti-static guard on all the time
I was troubleshooting the mobo.Chances of shorting out because of static
are pretty slim. What gets me is that when I first booted up the system
everything was functioning what appeared normally except the A drive.
After I straightened the video cable pin it all went south in a hurry.
Is it possible that I fried the mobo when I restraightened the pin back
to it's original config? Any suggestions out there?

TIA

Barry Clark

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]