RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 14:49:15 -0500
Does anyone eat apricot kernels here? I found the following text:

Apricot kernels contain amygdalin, also known as vitamin B17 or laetrile.
Amygdalin is purporrted to have anticarcinogenic properties, but in fact
is a glycoside that releases HCN on contact with stomach acid. Cyanide is
reasonably toxic and at least one death is attributed to ingestion of
apricot kernels. Other fruit pits also contain cyanogenic glycosides and
are hazardous to ingest in large quantities.

I tried them myself a few months ago (I didn't become sick, of course),
but the "stop" came rather quickly, usually after 20 grams (and they taste
less good than almonds). Perhaps amygdalin is the explanation.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis