RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 20:46:19 -0500
Ellie:

> Glucose metabolism is not my specialty, but according to my physiology
> text, glucose that is not used immediately for the release of energy is
> stored as glycogen. Some phsysiologists believe that glycogen is stored
> in two forms, one readily released and labile form called free glycogen,
> and another, called fixed glycogen that is only released slowly. When the
> body has such secondary stores, it is suggestive these stores might be
> altered, or mutant types of substances. I doubt if this has been proved,
> but there are lots of studies on toxic forms of stored substances such as
> AGE's (also called Maillard molecules) that are comibinations of
> proteins, lipids, and glucose or other sugars.

I would like to emphasize that the AGEs in the body are caused by
reactions between some tissues, such as collagen (which is a protein) and
the body's sugars, mainly fructose which has a much higher cross-linking
potential than glucose. They may play a role in the processus of
degeneration in aging. Formation of AGEs is accelerated in diabetes.

These AGEs (which are products of the Maillard reaction) have nothing to
do with ingestion of cooked food, since they involve the body proteins
(instead of food proteins).

If any parralel could be made between these AGEs and your theory of
denatured sugar, than these denatured sugars would have nothing to do with
the ingestion of cooked sugars.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis