From:
David Nasser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 20:04:49 CST
Oh Wise Seers,

I pulled this ancient Connor 170mb HD out of my old 486 machine. It was
made around 1991, is a hoary looking thing with semi-cipherable
jumper diagram, etc. But it gave me good service for 5+ years.
And it ain't over yet (I hope). Mostly I just need to copy some
data from it.

I'm trying to install it in my socket 7 system with Tyan S1571 TX
mobo. It failed to install as Primary  slave, Secondary Master, etc.
I can't get it to autodetect at all. None of the 40+ HD settings
in my Award v4.51 pg bios _appeared_ to be correct. Quoting chapter
and verse on the mnfgr's parameters (cyls, sectors, etc) didn't
seem to help. Also set PIO down to 1 and 2: "nobody home".

Hey, its just an IDE drive! My TX mobo supports IDE stuff circa '91,
doesn't it? Doesn't it??

I figger its something silly, but I can't think of what.  All
suggestions welcome.

  TIA,
  David

** David Nasser                     **     [log in to unmask]  **
** Univ. Mo. St. Louis              **                              **

"If I ever get lucky, mama,
 and win my train fare home
 I'm going back to Mississippi
 where I belong."
    from "Thats All Right, Mama", Arthur Crudup, maybe 1941.