From:
Dennis Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 00:15:44 -0500
Hello All,

I'm having a terrible time doing a mobo/cpu upgrade. I'm going from an
Asus XP55T2P4, Intel HX chipset with a Pentium 166 to an Abit AX5, Intel
TX chipset with an AMD K6 233. Both are ATX boards and both have Award
bios.

After installing the new board and chip and configuring the bios I got
several errors when Win95 started to boot. It locked up several times,
got a "Bad or missing vmm32.vxd, Windows cannot continue" message. It
wouldn't even boot in Safe Mode. After several attempts I finally
resolved myself to a full reinstall. I reformatted and ran setup about a
million times and it locks up when detecting hardware, suwin causes
general protection faults, exception errors, etc.

All I have in the system at this point is the STB Velocity 3D video
card, floppy, Western Digital hard drive and 64 mb EDO ram (4 - 16mb
sticks).

I've never had this much trouble installing Win95...I guess it had to
happen sooner or later. Has anyone had any trouble with Abit boards or
the TX chipset? Tom's Hardware Page gave both the board and chip good
reviews, but I'm not so sure I agree with him. Most of my experience has
been with Asus boards.

Also the K6 seems pretty hot to the touch even with the cpu fan on it. I
have the voltage set according to what is printed on the top of the
chip...3.2 core voltage, 3.3 I/O voltage.

I'm stumped and I'll take any suggestions anyone has.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Thiel

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]