From:
Mike Buraczewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 05:35:06 -0600
If you load the cd-rom drivers through the dos autoexec.bat file and the
config.sys file then the cd-rom can be changed with the /L switch for the
mscdex command.  Look at your autoexec.bat file and find the line that loads
mscdex.exe.  At the end of that line put in  "/L = X" without the quotes.
You may substitute any letter for the X as long as your autoexec.bat file
does not include a statement for last drive. This will be a statement like
"Lastdrive = M".  In this case if your cd-rom is setup as a drive letter
past the last drive statement, your drive may not be recognized.

One windows 94 recognizes your cd-rom, you may want to attempt to "rem" out
the line in your autoexec.bat and config.sys files that load the cd-rom
drivers.  *Make sure you have a startup disk and make copies of your
original autoexec.bat and config.sys files first)  After you make the
copies, Edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys files with the word "Rem"
without quotes at the beginning of each line you wish to prevent loading at
startup.  The cd-rom properties can then be edited in Win95 to change the
letter as you wish.

I only recommend the second method if you are familiar with editing batch
files etc.

HTH

Mike Buraczewski