NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 14:08:21 -0500
I totally agree about the need to change the labels to be more complete. I
had a horrific experience with the word "spices". Up here in Canada we have
a flavour of potato chips called "Dill Pickle" and they just happen to be my
families favorite. Anyway, the label includes "spices" as one of the
ingredients. I called Hostess and Humpty Dumpty and was told that there was
no milk ingredient or milk derivatives in the "Spices". So I gave them to
Zack. After eating these chips for a year....they finally disclosed the
"spices" and guess what........Lactose was number 3!!!! I called again to
both companies and was told "oops....yup as a matter of fact ma'am its
always had Lactose".
  Thank God that Zack never had an anaphylactic reaction to those chips!
However, we were noticing a persistant cough and were in the process of
eliminating various foods from his diet. Well once we found out about the
lactose in the chips we obviously stopped them altogether and.....you
guessed it, stopped the chips and stopped the cough!