From:
Peter Byrnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 12:23:18 +1000

Bob Wrote:
>  You can add a I/O LPT port card and assign it on the
>  system as LPT2.

Of these two solutions, I would strongly advise the second
LPT port. Some printers and printer drivers have major
problems with switch boxes, especially newer lasers and
inkjets. If either printer is advertised as "Windows Only"
you will definitely run into trouble. This is because the
drives monitors the printer's status all the time. If a
different printer is suddenly put on the port, the driver will
freak out.

You can install the second parallel port yourself, so long
as you're aware of antistatic precautions, you're comfort-
able with finding free IRQs and I/O addresses, and you're
willing to look at the manual and change a jumper or two.

Hope this helps,
Peter Byrnes
Senior Technician
Downs MicroSystems