RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynton Blair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 00:23:05 GMT
Jean-Louis  wrote:
>> From: Lynton Blair <[log in to unmask]>

>> Eating RAF would seem to bring with it certain definite possible problems,
>> eg parasites, infection from handlers, mercury in the case of fish,
>> pesticides, you name it.

>That's why, when eating fish, it is better to choose WILD fish from
>the LESS polluted oceans. I personally consider that they are "pure"
>enough. Remember that even organic fruits still contain remanent pesticides,
>that we breathe polluted air, etc... Avoiding fish because you fear
>intoxination is a bit paranoid.

>> Espescially with fish, there are apparently some viscious parasites, even if
>> they are rare.

>Most parasites are innocuous and rare. Remember that some vegetables
>or fruits can also contain parasites. And even if you catched a parasite,
>there are effective medications.

>> Another problem with fish is that they are commonly caught and frozen
>> without being gutted, and this can cause parasites in the gut to migrate
>> into the tissue.

>But if you buy fresh fish and gut it yourself (or have it gutted
>by the fishmonger), that shouldn't pose a problem.

Lynton:
The point I'm making is that fish should be gutted when caught, not many
hours / days later.
Its the delay on gutting that allows the parasites to invade the flesh.

>> This also happens with commercially raised fish (on a fish farm). - besides,
>> the diet of the fish is far from nutritious).

>Thus, avoid commercially raised fish...

Lynton:
Exactly.

>> I don't know anything about the drying.  I surmise that its for the same
>> purpose as for meat, ie to let the flesh autolyse, which makes it easier to
>> digest.  I've not tried it, and hope someone tells us more...

>Exactly. Just hang some fillets in your refrigerator (I use paperclips).
>Then, after a few days, the flesh autolyses and it can taste/smell
>incredibly good (when you need it, etc)

Lynton:
Thanks for that ! :>)

>Wild fish is an excellent source of animal food, IMO healthier (and
>more affordable!) than organic meat. Some rare species may harbor
>dangerous parasites,

Lynton:
Yes, but there is the rare parasite that is deadly.

>...but the fish we commonly eat don't. And
>as for the innocuous parasites, the risk of contamination is nonzero,
>but very small (based on the experience of thousands of instinctos).

>If you are afraid of parasites, be aware that to get rid of them, light
>cooking is not enough. When my diet was cooked, I got a tapeworm
>10 years ago after eating a steak (but got rid of it very easily).
>Trichines (found in pork) is even more resistent: some larvae are
>still alive in raw sausages after several weeks; and to be sure that
>all larvae are killed, pork should be boiled 1/2 hour!

>I personally appreciate fish very much, and consider that the
>benefit (in health, in pleasure) is really worth the cost. In fact,
>I consider the cost as totally negligible.

Lynton:
Really interesting!  How did you get rid of the tapeworm ?
I also eat raw fish on occasion, despite the possible problems.  I just
think that a person should make an educated decision about these things,
don't you agree?

Regards,
Lynton