RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 08:13:44 -0400
> From: Lynton Blair <[log in to unmask]>

> Eating RAF would seem to bring with it certain definite possible problems,
> eg parasites, infection from handlers, mercury in the case of fish,
> pesticides, you name it.

That's why, when eating fish, it is better to choose WILD fish from
the LESS polluted oceans. I personally consider that they are "pure"
enough. Remember that even organic fruits still contain remanent pesticides,
that we breathe polluted air, etc... Avoiding fish because you fear
intoxination is a bit paranoid.

> Espescially with fish, there are apparently some viscious parasites, even if
> they are rare.

Most parasites are innocuous and rare. Remember that some vegetables
or fruits can also contain parasites. And even if you catched a parasite,
there are effective medications.

> Another problem with fish is that they are commonly caught and frozen
> without being gutted, and this can cause parasites in the gut to migrate
> into the tissue.

But if you buy fresh fish and gut it yourself (or have it gutted
by the fishmonger), that shouldn't pose a problem.

> This also happens with commercially raised fish (on a fish farm). - besides,
> the diet of the fish is far from nutritious).

Thus, avoid commercially raised fish...

> I don't know anything about the drying.  I surmise that its for the same
> purpose as for meat, ie to let the flesh autolyse, which makes it easier to
> digest.  I've not tried it, and hope someone tells us more...

Exactly. Just hang some fillets in your refrigerator (I use paperclips).
Then, after a few days, the flesh autolyses and it can taste/smell
incredibly good (when you need it, etc)

Wild fish is an excellent source of animal food, IMO healthier (and
more affordable!) than organic meat. Some rare species may harbor
dangerous parasites, but the fish we commonly eat don't. And
as for the innocuous parasites, the risk of contamination is nonzero,
but very small (based on the experience of thousands of instinctos).

If you are afraid of parasites, be aware that to get rid of them, light
cooking is not enough. When my diet was cooked, I got a tapeworm
10 years ago after eating a steak (but got rid of it very easily).
Trichines (found in pork) is even more resistent: some larvae are
still alive in raw sausages after several weeks; and to be sure that
all larvae are killed, pork should be boiled 1/2 hour!

I personally appreciate fish very much, and consider that the
benefit (in health, in pleasure) is really worth the cost. In fact,
I consider the cost as totally negligible.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis