From:
George & Sherry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 07:31:28 -0000
Pam,

>         For me, it's when my friends ask me to drive them by the
> "Paleo-McDonald's" and I smell the smell of the fries. I drool over
> doughnuts, and I crave pizza. I guess I haven't been Paleo long-enough to
> get over these cravings. :(

I know exactly how you feel - and right now, this style of eating looks
like a huge, daunting mountain that you could never get over.  I have been
reading your posts and my heart goes out to you;  you have so many issues
to deal with, all at once.  There's nothing more frustrating than feeling
not well and having everyone believe it's your fault, or that it's in your
head.  But please take heart, it's going to be alright.

First, I'd like to say that these cravings, incredibly, do go away -
completely and permanently.  After making the committment that X foods are
out, period, then keep yourself really full with good foods.  And I do mean
full.  We're so accustomed to "leaving the table a bit hungry," etc.
mentality, especially if you have any history of dieting, we often don't
eat to complete satisfaction at every meal.  I do now, and does this make a
difference.  I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm trying to improve my health
and stamina, as you are, although I do believe that correct weight is often
a direct side effect of increased health.  I was drooling over the fries
for the first few weeks too, but no more.  (Yippee!)  So hang in there.
Your tastes do change.  This is a great way of life and you CAN make it.
I've never been so happy, content, and stress-free in my eating habits.

Second, about your digestive problems related to starting this diet - this,
as you mentioned, is most likely the reaction of a system not used to whole
foods, and that's common.  Go gently on yourself.  There's no need to be
perfect from day one.  Or day 1000, for that matter.  Try to incorporate
one new thing at a time; slow down a bit.  None of us are perfect.  It's
alright to experiment and find out what works for you; and it's alright to
make mistakes.  Today our mistakes don't kill us - just think:  if paleo
man made a mistake in choosing, say, his mushrooms...  well, you know.  :)

Feel free to write me anytime.

God bless,

Yoni