From:
Irma R DeBruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 06:54:17 -0500

There have been many posts on labels for foods and many other posts on the
gluten free status of manufactured foods. Having spoken to manufacturers
it is my understanding that beyond the guidelines provided by support
groups there is no actual technical code that exists in the US that would
serve as a standard for US manufacturers. By that I mean, manufacturers at
least on a large scale, work to technical specifications which are very
specific. Specifications would probably be written either by sophisticated
food chemists and/or food technologists etc., perhaps following some kind
of acceptable practice guidelines. For example, what is meant by cleaning
equipment? My sons had one definition of vacuuming I had another.

It seems to me that it would be important to see that a code exist to
define terms. Perhaps, as a first step, we should interact with the
government to see what help they could give us in developing a code. Could
they provide funding to develop a code which could then be followed
voluntarily by manufacturers. Should the celiac support groups provide
funding for the development of a code and then call for proposals.
Training institutions that are involved in food sciences and food
chemistry might be interested in doing the research involved if funding
was available. Do any such codes exist in other countries. I am aware that
there is an international code but I think that it may just determine the
level. Can anyone describe it further? I have also heard about tests by an
Australian laboratory does anyone have information about this?

Irma
Massachusetts