From:
"Aaron D. Wieland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 23:21:25 -0500
In fact, I strongly suspect that I am gluten-intolerant.  While I was a
vegetarian (for about nine months last year), I took the unusual precaution
of severely restricting my wheat consumption.  Before that period, however,
I ate a lot of gluten.  I suspect that my avoidance of gluten for several
months explains why I regained my desire for dark meat after losing it
temporarily.  I've noticed that I don't digest grains and legumes very
efficiently.

However, it's always tricky to identify the ultimate cause of a problem.
Did gluten damage my intestine, or did a damaged intestine increase my
sensitivity to gluten?  I know of a lab which tests your blood for gliadin
and casein antibodies as a means of measuring intestinal permeability (see
http://www.antibodyassay.com/ipe.htm ).  These difficult-to-digest proteins,
due to their physical structure, can cause problems for anyone with a
compromised intestinal lining.  Robert McFerran, whom I've mentioned before,
believes that eating too lightly for my metabolism caused my gut to
degenerate, thereby increasing my sensitivity to various proteins.  Hunting
for definite cause-and-effect relationships can be frustratingly difficult.

-- Aaron Wieland