BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Svantevit <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Svantevit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 00:13:52 -0400
Visiting Boston with the members of the Polish delegation to Restoration
Show thanks to Ivan Myer we had the chance to see the Boston Public Library
restoration project. The tour guided by Erin Hester from PFD Boston
Neighborhood Development Agency and William Barry from Shepley Bulfinch
Richardson and Abbott gave us an insight into the old structure and
technical
and political challenges of the project in the old building. Library is
located in two buildings, one XIX century (one we visited) and the new
addition which does not work as an addition because it competes with the old
one in the field of size, architectural grandiouseness  and detailing. Seems
to me like underground way of thinking works better. What I see as a problem
over there is lack of definition - two buildings which are one library are
completely different and neither one looks like being in charge. Size
matters and equality is wrong - either we leave historical dominant alone
and work around it, either we should take over (there is an interesting
sample in Baltimore Downtown where the new high rise was built inside and
above the old two story shell of the historical building). There are no
possibility to put together set of rules what should be done in each case of
development in or near historical structure. Each situation is different,
the conservation is still an art and great challenge for everyone involved.
The same questions are present in case of fine art, building or the old city
restoration. The scientific approach expires after all research and analysis
are done and this is the time for decision and individual responsibility of
the architect. Michigan Law Library looks like mature decision, what
happened inside the old building later is different story - Boston Public
Library addition is the great design which should be located somewhere on
the hillside among the trees and with the reflecting pond on the front.
Why it bothers me so much? - the way the old building is restored is really
impressive, it is beautiful piece of work and it hurts to see the aggressive
tons of concrete hanging around.
More about architectural additions in Scott Demel page (look for his thesis)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/scottdemel/th-intro.html

Witold Karwowski