CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Buck Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 03:07:52 -0500
In that Chomsky discussion group Im in, I asked a question about what motives
might underlie the government/media's Iraq hype of such a trivial issue. Why
they'd want to risk rushing into military confrontation over something so
stupid, that could be worked out with negotiations.

Most had a theory that it is all a big diversion to larger problems that are
right here at home. One guy gave a pretty specific example that I had
previously heard nothing about:

Derail the Fast Track to Economic Disaster

On Friday, Nov. 7, the House of Representatives will vote on giving
President Clinton "Fast Track" negotiating authority.  The purpose of Fast
Track is to limit debate and restrict Congress' ability (our ability) to
influence trade and investment deals.  Under Fast Track rule, Congress can
only vote yes or no, with no amendments, on agreements negotiated by the
President and hundreds of business advisors.  Fast Track authority was first
granted to President Nixon in 1974, but has only been used five times to pass
the most undemocratic and controversial trade agreements, such as NAFTA.

The Fast Track bill that your Representative will vote on was drafted mainly
by Republican Ron Archer.  It is far worse than any previous Fast Track.
The Republican Fast Track bill strengthens business rights, such as patents,
while prohibiting the President from addressing enforceable labor and
environmental protections in future trade deals for the next eight years.
Under this retrograde proposal, the President wouldn't even be able to
negotiate NAFTA-like labor and environmental side agreements.

This unprecedented Fast Track bill would automatically authorize the
President to begin negotiating NAFTA expansion, starting with Chile.
Despite demands from GOP and Democratic members, the bill does not prevent
the new and extreme Multilateral Agreement on Investment from being included
under Fast Track.

Main Talking Points

1. Fast Track is undemocratic; it's purpose it is to limit debate and limit
Congress' ability  (our ability) to influence and amend bad trade deals.

2. This Fast Track proposal prohibits environmental, labor, human rights,
food safety, drug trafficking and religious freedom provisions from being
included in future trade and investment agreements for the next eight years.

3. We want Fair Trade, which benefits people and the environment for all
countries  involved, not Free Trade.

4. Please Oppose Fast Track.