RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 08:30:48 -0500
Jean-Louis Tu wrote about Bruce Ames research: [snip]

> These  naturally derived pesticides have not been tested extensively for
> carcinogenicity (rotenone is negative, however), mutagenicity or
> teratogenicity as have synthetic pestices; therefore, their safety
> compared to synthetically derived pesticides sould not be prematurely
> assumed.

Thanks for bringing these points out.  They are important.  Dr. Ames has
become a hero to the makers of synthetic poisons.  I often attack, with
relish, the chemical paradigm for spreading lab-made toxicity into every part
of our environment and its supporters can usually be counted on to employ Dr.
Ames and a "natural poisons are bad, too" defense.

What the chemical purveyors don't want to talk about is the lack of natural
break-down, or detoxifying organisms or enzymes needed to clean up their
substances.  For instance, even though cockroaches and other vermin have
adapted to DDT, it is still abundant in the environment and we're suffering.
DDT should never have been released until the labs developed bacteria that
could decompose it.  The two could have been loosed together.

Sadly, none of Dr. Ames reports refers to the Brix of the produce he tested.
It's easy for me to imagine he used typical toxic store-bought fruits and
vegetables and therefore came up with erroneous values and conclusions.  To
mention an extreme possibility, think about the wrongness of his results if he
had inadvertently used, say, unripened persimmons.  Although that might seem
preposterous on a first read, any scientists following this thread know that
worse can happen during the course of a study if all factors are not
controlled.

No, I, for one, will not accept Dr. Ames work until I know the Brix of the
produce he used.  I suspect the Instinctos on this list also have their
suspicions about the quality of the produce he used to make such sweeping
conclusions.  Let's carry it all the way: I think anybody who knows there is a
dramatic difference between sour, so-so, good, and then excellent fruits &
vegetables has their doubts of his results by now.

Regards,
Rex Harrill