RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 21:24:52 -1000
Liza:
>I have a question for anyone about my love for honey.  I'm assuming I have a
>sugar addiction, since I often have to fight with the honey jar.  The honey we
>get is completely raw and unheated, but not only does it not ever taste
>"strong" to me (it tastes utterly heavenly), but I have never experienced
>anything remotely resembling a "stop." I just get a real clear "You Go Girl."
>:>)) Seriously, why is this? Are "stops" not functional until after the
>addiction is cleaned up?

Completely raw and unheated honey is exceedingly difficult to find. Most
"raw" honey can be heated up to 120F (if  remember correctly) and can even
be called "uncooked" up to 160F (I think). Sometimes even if honey is truly
raw, it can be such a mix of different flowers that the stop is kinda
weird, like it still tastes good but bad at the same time. However, that
doesn't sound like you have that problem at all...;)

If you are sure of your honey quality (comb honey is best) you might try
eating your fill (on an empty stomach?) over several meals if need be.
There will almost surely be a stop. However I'm not sure that one should
eat some things instincto if not going whole hog on instincto--that is,
using the stops as the method of eating lots of honey (or another favored
food) while eating "normally" with other foods.

I am also not sure that the stop for any food isn't a signal that it has
already been OVEReaten. For instance, I and others, have experienced great
attraction to honey in my early weeks of instincto, eating a pound (and
sometimes more) of comb honey no problem. Then after a time, the attraction
wears off and one rarely has a taste for honey in more than small amounts.
Instinctos claim the need has been satisfied, that the early quantities
were needed for detox. But, I wonder, might the decreasing attraction for
honey correlate with an overburdened metabolism which has been saturated
with more honey than it can handle. Might the "instinctive stop" be more of
an emergency measure to prevent continuing sugar metabolism problems?

Anyway, I found the stops in many varieties of honey (mostly comb honey or
honey we extracted ourselves w/o heat) and they were pretty dang definate,
but wildly varied. They have bitten me in the throat, the tongue, the lips,
and every combo thereof. They can go incredibly oversweet, taste like Karo
syrup, or other hard-to-describe but gaggy kind of sensations.

Also, the differences in flavor between different nectared honey is really
something, so if you aren't getting a quick enough stop on your fave honey,
you might try getting hold of some stronger comb honey and maybe you'll see
a stop with that...? Just to experience a honey stop, ya know? ;)

BTW, I have this general for-fun "theory" that, on the whole, males prefer
stronger (usually darker) honeys, while females prefer lighter ones. And
it's correllary, (the line-by-line proof looks a lot like an 8th grader's
geometry proofs--back when they still did such things in 8th grade ;)) the
spotted banana theory, whereby males prefer their bananas more spotted than
females. Of course, this is only true for myself and Melisa that I know of,
but it's been a while since we had a light-hearted thread, so...

...how about it? Does your loved one of the opposite sex like their bananas
more or less spotted than you do? Do they like their honeys darker?

Cheers,
Kirt