NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 23:19:14 -0400
Helen Fernety asked:

>I just got a request for a substitute for evaported milk. I search the
>no-milk archieves and my own resources and got a big fat nothing.

Maybe because you didn't spell it evaporated? Here's what my search turned up:

Date:    Wed, 27 Aug 1997 14:23:09 -0400
Sender:  Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List
From:    Beth Kevles <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Substitute for sweetened condensed milk

The following is on my web page, along with other substitutions.  I haven't
tried it yet since our kitchen's been under construction for an eternity,
but if anyone else tries it out, please let me know how it worked!

"cookable" vanilla pudding mix with soy milk to substitute
in recipes for evaporated or condensed milk.  She says, "It works
particurlarly well in pumpkin pie.  It would probably also work in fudge
sauce -- just use a receipe based on evaporated or condensed milk.  I
add 3 tablespoons of pudding mix to 3/4 cup of soy milk to get the
equivalent of 3/4 cup of the other milks."

--Beth Kevles