RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 12:04:38 -0500
> I came across this reference that seemed interesting to me, croosing
> rawvegan and antioxidant effects.    I don't have access to the American
> Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

I don't have any time to go to the library right now, but here is the abstract;
I also included another abstract by the same authors below.

Am J Clin Nutr 1995 Dec;62(6):1221-1227

Antioxidant status in long-term adherents to a strict
uncooked vegan diet.

Rauma AL, Torronen R, Hanninen O, Verhagen H, Mykkanen H

Department of Clinical Nutrition, University of Kuopio, Finland.

Antioxidant status was investigated in 20 Finnish middle-aged female
vegans and in one male vegan who were following a strict, uncooked vegan
diet ("living food diet"), by means of a dietary survey and biochemical
measurements (blood concentrations of vitamins C and E and
beta-carotene, and the activities of the zinc/copper-dependent superoxide
dismutase and selenium-dependent glutathione peroxidase). Values were
compared with those of omnivores matched for sex, age, social status, and
residence. Antioxidant supplementation was used by 4 of 20 female vegans
and by 11 of 20 control subjects. Based on dietary records, the vegans had
significantly higher intakes of beta-carotene, vitamin E, vitamin C, and
copper, and a significantly lower intake of selenium than the omnivorous
control subjects. The calculated dietary antioxidant intakes by the vegans,
expressed as percentages of the US recommended dietary allowances, were
as follows: 305% of vitamin C, 247% of vitamin A, 313% of vitamin E, 92%
of zinc, 120% of copper, and 49% of selenium. Compared with the
omnivores, the vegans had significantly higher blood concentrations of
beta-carotene, vitamin C, and vitamin E, as well as higher erythrocyte
superoxide dismutase activity. These differences were also seen in pairs who
were using no antioxidant supplements. The present data indicate that the
"living food diet" provides significantly more dietary antioxidants than does
the cooked, omnivorous diet, and that the long-term adherents to this diet
have a better antioxidant status than do omnivorous control subjects.

J Nutr 1995 Oct;125(10):2511-2515

Vitamin B-12 status of long-term adherents of a
strict uncooked vegan diet ("living food diet") is
compromised.

Rauma AL, Torronen R, Hanninen O, Mykkanen H

Department of Clinical Nutrition, University of Kuopio, Finland.

The present study examined the vitamin B-12 status in long-term
adherents of a strict uncooked vegan diet called the "living food diet." The
study was comprised of two parts. In the cross-sectional part, the data on
serum vitamin B-12 concentrations and dietary intakes in 21 (1 male, 20
females) long-term adherents (mean 5.2 y, range 0.7-14) of the "living food
diet" were compared with those of 21 omnivorous controls matched for sex,
age, social status and residence. In the longitudinal part of the study, food
consumption data were collected and blood samples were taken from nine
"living food eaters" (1 male, 8 females) on two occasions 2 y apart. The
cross-sectional study revealed significantly (P < 0.001, paired t test) lower
serum vitamin B-12 concentrations in the vegans (mean 193 pmol/L, range
35-408) compared with their matched omnivorous controls (311, 131-482).
In the vegan group, total vitamin B-12 intake correlated significantly (r =
0.63, P < 0.01) with serum vitamin B-12 concentration. The vegans
consuming Nori and/or Chlorella seaweeds (n = 16) had serum vitamin
B-12 concentrations twice as high as those not using these seaweeds (n = 5)
(mean 221 pmol/L, range 75-408, vs. 105, 35-252, P = 0.025). In the
longitudinal study, six of nine vegans showed slow, but consistent
deterioration of vitamin B-12 status over a 2-y observation period. On the
basis of these results we conclude that some seaweeds consumed in large
amounts can supply adequate amounts of bioavailable vitamin B-12.