Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 16:09:06 -0500
Mary wrote:

>Hi Robert,
>
>What I'm wondering is where the optimal midpoint is carb-wise.  I'd
>probably pass out on a really low carb diet, but at the same time I've
>probably shot my adrenal wad on a high carb diet.

If youve felt dizzy when cutting back carbs before, you probably cut them
too much but not enough to switch into ketosis.
You won't pass out on a really low carb diet _if_ your in ketosis(you many
FEEL like your going to before you switch over though). Once you start
crankin' out ketones you _will_ have energy. Youll be amazed.

>Either way the brain
>suffers, but I'm doing lots better reigning in on the carbs.  I tried
>running yesterday, and I noticed that my muscles were stronger. I'm not
>eating meat, and am not big on large amounts of fat.

Fat really is not the enemy. I know its a hard one to swallow(ha-ha).
But unless your IN ketosis, I would really try to stay away from saturated
fats(that is just my opinion).
Fat is not the enemy--overeating is though(eating more cals than you need).

To answer your question from above("where is the optimal midpoint"), I
think this:

Zone-type ratios(30-40% carbs) seem very good long-term to me.  BUT-->if
you're overeating, this is NOT a good diet.

Ketogenic diets are very effective for fat loss. As far as mental
functioning--it varies from person to person. Some people tell me they
think BETTER in ketosis. Then others(like myself) do not. If your prone to
overeating(binges), then its *far* better to binge on fat in ketosis than
binge on a diet with carbs. No doubt about it.

Robert <:^>