NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Roberta Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 09:42:30 -0500
Dear Ariel,
I became lactose intolerant around my 29th birthday.  Actually, I suspect
my intolerance was building over time.  It had just gotten so bad by the
time I was 29, I asked my doctor what was wrong with me.  She suggested I
try not eating dairy for a week.  Presto!  My nausea and stomach aches
went away.  I've become completely dairy free since.  I can't do cheeses
and lactaid doesn't seem to work for me.  However, I have several friends
that are slightly lactose intolerant and can digest cheese, but not
milk.

It is an adjustment to eat dairy-free, but completely worth it, to me.
Eating out is mostly a pain, so we don't do it very often.  My husband
and I love to cook and he is 100% supportive.  He knows how miserable I
am if I accidently eat some dairy, so he's as alert about hidden dairy as
I am.

I am sure you'll receive lots of good advice from the list, so I'll just
share my late 20s experience with you.

Best wishes on your dairy-free journey!
Roberta