NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 1997 20:42:59 -0600

Don Wiss wrote:
>Looks like a lot of calcium, since you were also getting calcium in your
>food.

Reports in the medical literature indicate that calcium and magnesium
compete for the same receptors, and magnesium has been shown to be
beneficial to bone re-mineralization, cardiovascular health, and pulmoonary
health. I have not yet seen a report of significant benefit in any of these
areas for calcium supplementation.
(I am aware that some work reflects that calcium supplementation helps in
arresting further mineral losses, but that seems weak beside the results for
magnesium supplements.)
Ron