From:
Lynda Swink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 23:48:34 -0800

Hi Friends, here at long last is the summary of suggestions for fat free
baking:

There were four suggestions to buy or borrow the Bette Hagman Book "The
Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy."  Apparently she has many
suggestions on "what will work, or will not work, and why."

Several people told me about Pamela's Brownie Mix.  They must be pretty
good as so many of you eat them!  Anyway, the mix has a recommendation
right on the bax for using apple sauce as a fat replacement.

It also seems that there are a lot of us who have a weight problem.  Six of
us *before* diagnosis, and 2 who gained after going gluten free.  I was
encouraged to know that I am not the only one with this problem.  Thanks
everyone for sharing.

And here are several other suggestions regarding fat replacements, sugar
replacements, and several other helpful suggestions:

**********************
**********************
************************
**********************
***********************
**********************
**********************
**********************
***********************************
>I follow a very low-fat diet, as I am unable to properly digest fats.  I
>use applesauce in most of my baking - all but bread.  The final product is
>chewier than with fat, but definitely healthier.  I don't miss the fat.  I
>use equivalent applesauce for fat.  If I want the taste of fat, the most I
>will use is 1 Tbl per recipe, and decrease the applesauce by 1 Tb.  I also
>use only egg whites in baking.  2 whites = 1 whole egg.  I never use the
>yolks, ever.
>
>For sweetness, I use fructose, which is 3 times as sweet as sugar, and
>metabolizes better.  Therefore 1/3 c. fructose = 1 c. sugar.  Fortunately,
>I don't like things to be too sweet, and am always cutting down the amount
>of fructose that I use.
>
>Other ways to get things sweet, is to use fruit juice in place of water or
>milk in a recipe.  Works great, and requires less extra sweetening.

Thanks to all of you,
Lynda

\*/\*/\*/ Lynda \*/ [log in to unmask] \*/ So. Calif.\*/\*/ _@v