From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 08:07:24 -0400

Must admit I have dragged my feet on contacting the Washington Post re:
President Clinton's wheat free desserts, but this morning's ITHACA JOURNAL
- is there any better source??? - has an article from Lawrence L. Knutson
of The Associated Press called Sweets for the Statesmen, subtitle Desserts,
White House Style.  The 4th and 5th paragraphs from the end read:

        With Clinton, Mesnier [His desert chef] faces a special challenge.

        "He's on a special diet because he has allergies - no dairy
products, no chocolate, no wheat."

I no longer need to locate the source of that information from some obscure
French/American newsletter.

If any of you have been ruminating about this subject and have a particular
approach in mind that would give us a boost for knowledge about celiac
disease or at least wheat allergy, we should strike while the iron's hot.
I assume this article will be in papers all across the country today, or at
least within a few days.  Do we want wheat-free recipes from the chef?  Do
we want lists of foods with hidden wheat?  Do we want the public to know
the symptoms of wheat and dairy allergies?

Do we want to contact the Washington Post Health editor, or ???  I can't
believe that AP would send this information over their wires (or e-mail or
however they are doing it these days) without verifying the information.

I urge you all to write  for yourselves, or send me ideas and I'll get
something sent next week.  Perhaps we should all send recipes???  This
group is good at that!

Lucky Bill Clinton...he doesn't have to cook, he just has to tell the cook
the things to avoid and then goes about his other business!  For those of
us who try to work, take care of the children and the house, AND do the
cooking...you can finish that sentence.

I assure you, when I write, I will not involve this LIST, but will do so
privately, tho I may mention that the LIST exists, if that is OK with the
owners.

If you have ideas or want to be involved, please contact me directly:
Gayle Kennedy [log in to unmask]