RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:30:46 -0700
Judy Pokras <[log in to unmask]>:
>Are rolled oats raw?  (Are they from hulled or unhulled oats?)
>And should they be soaked?  Do you recommend eating them?  Do they contain
>gluten?

Tom:
Rolled oats are made from hulled oats. They look raw, but I really
don't know for certain if they are heated in the rolling process. The
rolling process itself will generate heat, but probably not that much.

I use only unhulled oats, which I sprout. If you want to eat rolled oats raw,
simply soak them in warm (not hot) water - try and see if you like or
they agree with you.

Oats contain gluten. Sprouted oats contain less gluten, but those who
are allergic to gluten should avoid all forms of oats.

Judy Pokras <[log in to unmask]>:
>I would like to find a book that explains grains.  How they are processed,
>which ones contain gluten, the different forms of each one, etc.  It's very
>confusing.

Tom:
Of course, there are books on grains. However, I don't recall the titles
at the present time.

Regards,
Tom Billings