NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Art Pightling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:23:08 -0500
You wrote:

>    I have two questions for parents who have seen improvements after
>putting their children on diets free of casein and/or gluten because
of
>autism, developmental delays, or ADHD. Did your children also have any
>digestive symptoms that improved with the diet, such as loose stools,
gas,
>diarrhea, etc?

Our 3 1/2 yr old ADHD (if you want to call it that  at age 3- most
won't give it a true diagnosis until a little older) son had digestive
syptoms that improved when we altered his diet.  He now has formed
stools, which he never had before.

 And also, is there any chance of these sensitivities being
>outgrown as the child gets older and their gut hopefully becomes less
>permeable?

Don't  know yet, but from what I read so far, as the sensitive child
gets older , the symtoms change, but they think it is always going to
be a problem in one way or another.  What I have read is that the kid
may evolve new symptoms, and the early obvious ones like hyperactivity
may go away, which is why they once thought they "outgrew it".  The
problem is that the new symptoms may be much more insidious, and
obscure, and have a cumulative effect.  They may not be easy to detect,
much less link to diet.  It could be something like, for example,( but
not limited to):  chronic musculo-skeletal diseases / syndroms,  things
which could involve other systems of the body such as the neurological
system, arthritis, etc.  There is still much that needs to be
researched about this.  This is just the  tiny bit I heard.

>    Thanks in advance. I'd also like to thank the listowners for
running
>this list and all those posters who have responded to some of my other
>questions in the past. I don't always have a lot of time to go on the
>computer and feel bad that I haven't always acknowledged all the
>I've gotten, but I have appreciated them very much!
>Thanks again!
>
>Jean

Ditto !  Max and all the participants here are TERRIFIC  !!

Kim