CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 20:12:36 -0400
>Martin wrote:

> >       Consider the steps taken by our leaders before missiles began to
> > explode in Yugoslavia on March 24. Prior groundwork was needed. Top U.S.
> > officials deserve a lot of credit -- but they couldn't have gotten the job
> > done without assists from reporters in Washington and their colleagues
> > overseas.

>Is Mr Solomon saying the reporters should not have reported what the
government said?  It certainly sounds like it.  At some point, the
decision was taken to go to war.  The decision was taken by NATO.  If
to you that means it was taken by the US, then you will have to
explain why the other members of NATO are participating.  Once that
decision was taken, of course it had to be reported and explained.

You mean "repeated and justified"

> >       * Steadily vilify the leader of the country you're interested in
> > bombing.  Repeatedly emphasize his evil deeds so that reporters, editorial
> > writers and pundits will relay the message.

>Is Mr Solomon saying the reported evil deeds are lies?

Maybe exaggerations?

Now that I spend more time reading your comments, I realized I did overreact
by calling them "off the wall".
I did skim read it and maybe there lies the problem.

Milutin

Wit tha five centuries of penitentiary
So let tha guilty hang
In tha Year of tha Boomerang