RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 08:36:27 -0400
> From: Mark Hovila <[log in to unmask]>

> Tom wrote:
> > R: Humans are natural omnivores, per: 1) comparative anatomy analysis,
> > 2) evidence of ape diets, 3) the fossil record, 4) every hunter-gatherer
> > society ever known on this planet.

> Mark:
> Even if the above is true, and I am not qualified to comment on whether it
> is or not, this does not address the question of what is the most healthful
> diet for humans, as opposed to "natural," whatever that means.  To me, that
> is the key question, although the other is interesting from a historical
> standpoint.  So those who use evidence from anatomy, apes, fossils or
> history to promote or refute veganism are missing the point, in my opinion.

I agree. Anatomy, apes, fossils just show that we CAN eat meat and be
healthy, but not that meat is necessary. The only arguments that
seem valid to me are those about deficiencies. Continuous denial of
scientific evidence (with the naive thought that it's the consumption
of animal food which creates the need for B12, and not the need for B12
that makes animal food necessary), or of unsuccessuful experiences
(they didn't succeed because they were lacking greens/sprouts, because
of detoxification...) is intellectually dishonest.

Jean-Louis