RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 08:19:43 -0400
> From: Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]>

> On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Jean-Louis Tu wrote:
> > No matter how much supplements of antioxydants we take (to fight
> > free-radical damage), the biological clocks are still ticking, and our
> > maximum life-span will still be about 120 years (unless sciencists
> > discover telomere treatments).

> Has the "120" figure been pretty much the same throughout our history then?
> What do we know about the life-spans of our ancestors?

The figure "120" was in the Bible. And the oldest woman on earth just
died a few days ago at 122. I think that the MAXIMUM life span has
always been about 120. Of course, some genetic variations exist.

But the AVERAGE life span was of course much lower. I don't remember the
exact figures, but the Paleolithic hunter-gatherers had a life
expectancy of about 35 years. During the Neolithic period, it has
dropped a few years (30?), but since then, the average life span
has steadily increased until now (~73 for men, 80 for women or sth like
that).

Of course, during ancient times, many died at early age, but the
proportion of old people has never been close to what it is today.
To have an idea, in the few remaining hunter-gatherer societies,
a non negligible number of people make it into their 60's, but far
less than in developed countries.

Those who seek perfection in their diet and think that eating raw will
make them immortal should be consider that trying to achieve 99%
perfection (or their IDEA of perfection), instead of 95%, is perhaps
not worth the trouble. Living 120 years instead of 117? Hm...

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis